January 31, 2014

In the eyes of an eight-year-old

I've been thinking about this post for a while, ever since my little sister Kennadee sweetly distributed papers of gratitude to my family on the eve of thanksgiving. Mine said, "I am thankful for Megan because she's a fashion queen at collage." I immediately thought "oh to see things through 8-year-old eyes." It seems so perfect and glamorized almost doesn't it?




In the eyes of an 8-year-old
My clothes are pretty darn cute. Even "fashion queen" status and last years clothes are no different than the others.

In the eyes of an 8-year-old
I'm the coolest big sister because I'm old enough to wear makeup and sometimes I share.

In the eyes of an 8-year-old
I'm independent

In the eyes of an 8-year-old
I know how to do so many things, and I'm good at them.

In the eyes of an 8-year-old
My life is limitless.

In the eyes of an 8-year old
I'm near perfect

When I think of the people I look up to I don't notice every little flaw or short-coming. Are they there? Absolutely. Instead we recognize and admire what sets them apart, makes them stand-out, and makes them unique. Those things will ALWAYS carry more weight if it's what we look for.

May we all be a little bit kinder to others but also to ourselves. They say we are our worst critics. Maybe it’s a girl thing maybe it’s just a me thing but there are days when I feel like I can’t win. I can’t do anything right or good enough or efficient enough or as good as someone else. Like I mentioned earlier good things are there but we won’t realize them until we look for them. We’ll still have those days where the whole world seems to be against us, for those days my sister katie and I always joke. “well at least I got out of bed” or “at least I look good” followed by “it’s all about the small victories lately.”

Now whenever I’m sad or being ridiculously hard on myself I can just think about how the cutest darned 8-year-old is my biggest fan. Which is truly an honor because I was her biggest fan first.




Thanks Kenn for teaching me a lesson. I think when you’re in college you are going to be a fashion queen too. As well as a whole lot of other incredible things.

Everyone has a fan
xo Meg (F.Q)

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I wish everybody in the world could read this. What a great message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I wish everybody in the world could read this. What a great message!

    ReplyDelete