September 24, 2013

creating a legacy

A legacy of wisdom, creation, and love. 

Today marks yet again, the birthday of my beautiful and inspiring Mama. It has now been 11 years since her passing.  It's weird to think she has been out of my life now longer then she was in it. How incredibly grateful I am for the legacy that she did leave.  I'm still able to learn from her life and her example.

My sweet sister-in-law Chelsey took it upon herself to compile photos and memories into a book.  She had been working on the book for a long time.  Being sure to have stories, personal journal entries, memories from her twin Karen, other siblings, and an account from each of her kids making it very personal and meaningful. This past Saturday we were able to see the finished product. And boy is it pretty! There were so many photographs I had never seen before and I honestly don't think there is anything better then some old pictures. 

It was fun to read about all of the personal stories.  In elementary school my mom and Karen were split up and put into different classes. By the time 4th grade came one of them had complained enough that they finally put them in the same class.

When Karen was dating my uncle Bob they would often switch outfits and then places and see if he would notice. They would wait until he was at their house and then after a little bit they would excuse themselves and make the change. (you've got to make sure any potential lover doesn't just tell them apart by outfits right?)  I love hearing stories about my mom being silly.  Maybe that's why i'm so funny! (maybe i'm the only one who thinks that...oh well) 

I was thinking a lot about her upcoming birthday and told my sibs last week that we should start some sort of tradition every year to celebrate her birthday and have a moment when we can reflect and laugh together about our most cherished moments. This past Saturday we were all together and without really having anything planned other then being together I realized that we have always been really good at keeping her apart of lives. We don't need say a milkshake tradition (although I still think that should happen) to keep her very much alive. 

It just took Kit's curiosity and the opening of the cedar chest to rediscover so many childhood gems which of course have associated with them many memories of our dear, sweet mom.  What happier memory then pulling out our old baby blankets? Each homemade and full of so many stories and most of all snuggles from Mom. 

 I love the picture below because we're all so intrigued with what Ryan had to say about his blanket!! 

Just last night Maggie (I'm telling you my sister-in-laws seriously are the best!) related to me a story of my Mom and how applicable it was to my life currently.  It seems there will always be things to learn from her.

How grateful I am for siblings who are an example to me of continuing on so gracefully yet keeping her apart of them.

I am so incredibly blessed. And of course thankful always for eternal families.


These boys though....hunks right? 

Happy Birthday Mama dear. Your legacy will always live on.

3 comments:

  1. Meg, I love this! You are so beautiful and the perfect example of faith and strength to me. Miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I finally caught up on my reading of your blog! You have 27 followers now?!?! I'm telling you...you are the next Rat. ;)

    ReplyDelete