August 17, 2014

Birthday week

Tuesday rolled around and I finally turned the ripe old age of 21. I can legally do anything now, except rent a car I still can't do that. I guess i can't have it ALL.

Tuesday morning i woke up early and didn't sleep in because I wanted to take advantage of as much "birthday time" as i could. which basically just means more time to reflect on myself and my past year's accomplishments. hah okay but really I just woke up and drove to SLC so i could see my nephews and spend the morning with them. Everyone says boys are easier and wishes that they have all boys because they are supposedly "non dramatic" or "easy going". Maybe that's true when they're older but man i'll tell you these little guys are a handful. We're talking constant torture and body slams. I love them to death but it sure has been an adjustment from little girls who like to brush your hair, paint nails, and play dress up. For real though it was so fun to play with them. Hearing Ethan say my name is probably the cutest thing, it never gets old. Also it's way funny when he accidentally calls me Katie. Let's be honest though we are easily confusible-(roll with this new word, okay.)
(is this why all mom's cut their hair?)

Then came visit's to my parents house where my sisters gave me homemade birthday bracelets and letters that said things like "Happy birthday Meg, when i grow up i hope i'm just like you." Melted my heart. Afterward I had my first birthday cake of the day with my sister-in-law Jenn because we have the same birthday! 

Tuesday night my friends planned a birthday dinner for me. We met at the Blue Lemon and partook of some very delicious food. Then we went to Ky's house for birthday cake number two where even more friends were able to congregate. I don't think it can be a bad day when you get to eat cake twice and can't even feel guilty about it.



Saturday night my roommate Paige and I decided to have a combined birthday party- yes we threw a party for ourselves. There is a park by our parent's houses with this enormous hill. We managed to throw together a massive slip N slide which covered the whole 200 ft hill. SO FUN. and scary but mostly fun.

When we were cleaning up at the end some kids who were high school aged purposely threw their cups behind a construction area. I don't really know what happened next except this mama bear came out in me and I told them very matter of factly that we were in a public park that we need to leave it clean just how we found it.  That's when my friends all looked at me questioning what I had just said. I guess it was just very adult of me to stand up to rebellious teens. They seemed proud, ya know?

Last birthday thought and then I'll be done for a year. Everyone has told me time and time again that they have a word which they adopt (usually at the beginning of a year) and include that word in their life throughout the year. Maybe it's to overcome fears or stretch themselves farther. I was just at a fireside with Elder L. Tom Perry and when I left I finally decided it was time to come up with that word. My word for my 21st year of life is going to be CHARITY. So I guess i will try to live a more charitable life for the next year...kinda new to this word of the year thing.

I think 21 will be a year of a lot of change and a lot of growing up and a lot of adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment