January 12, 2012

that awkward moment...

...when we'll call him "homeboy" can't take a hint.
Upon arriving to work this afternoon I was greeted by my cousin Anthony. We were in the Library so you can imagine the traffic created by students coming and going. Me and Anthony had been talking just long enough to exchange the normal "hi" "how are your classes going so far" blah blah blah, the typical talk for the first week of school. Then a couple of Anth's friends walked in so I peaced out and clocked into work.

I was at work for no longer then five minutes when homeboy walked up and started talking to me. Conversation was light just talking about our Christmas's and such. Then just when I thought there was nothing left to talk about anymore he somehow kept finding stuff to talk about. which is probably why he talked about his girlfriend.....awkward. (i know him through a friend and all our friendship has ever consisted of has been the casual "hey, how are you?" when I'm at work and he walks past. I actually didn't even remember his name until one of my friends stopped to say hi and introduced himself to homeboy. this is the part where I was listening intently to catch his name....)

You can imagine my shock when he had been talking to me for nearly half an hour because I don't recall ever really having a conversation with him before that lasted more then just a few seconds. In between talking to homeboy and picking up printed papers from the printers I caught a glimpse of Anthony waving his phone in the air at me sitting at a nearby table. "okay I thought...did he text me?" I then excused myself and told homeboy I needed to check my phone. I had the following text from Anth

"I was gonna say hi but I don't think I can anymore."

I was so confused that I even read this text to homeboy. me and my oblivious self thought he was saying that he couldn't come say hi because his friends wouldn't let him or something.... so I sent back this.

"haha does he control you?" -me

"no....just don't want to break up the love scene over there." -Anthony

Then finally I understood. and the worst part was that I had read the text to the kid that Anthony was talking about.....

"NO! please come talk to me. I'm serious. come act like you're my boyf. ha" -me

At this point I was praying that homeboy was oblivious like myself to the text which I read to him out loud!! (it is so embarrassing)

then right on time trusty Anthony arrives and plays it cool saying stuff like "hey meg, how are you?" "do you want a bagel? i'm going to go get one" after talking to Anthony for ten minutes with him clearly as my focus....I was kind of ignoring homeboy but at the same time not. anyways the whole time i'm talking to Anth Homeboy is just standing there. AWKWARD!! I mean come on...take a hint!

Meanwhile the stuff me and Anth talked about was priceless. He asked how my Christmas was and I just started gushing with excitement about how I went to a really fun Christmas eve party and started going on and on about it. (FYI the party was at Anthony's house) then Anthony would keep saying things like "well if I saw you over the break...."(which we obviously did) then my fav."were family friends" Due to the awkwardness of the whole situation (homeboy was content and not leaving/picking up the hints) Anthony excused himself and went to go sit down close by where he could still observe.

It was just mega awkward now....because here homeboy thinks A. I like this kid or B.has actually figured out that he is my cousin and just didn't say anything. At this point I had no idea what he was thinking! so I promptly stand up and fake that I have to go to the bathroom and say "thanks for coming to say hi. It was great talking to you" just in case he thought he could wait for me...  we walked to the elevator I said Ta Ta and practically ran to Anth(quietly of course because we were in the library) to laugh about what just happened.

Thank you homeboy for talking to me but there is such thing as overstaying your welcome. that's all. also it is never good to say awkward this many times in a post...never.

Always a pleasure Anth, always a pleasure. (this one is for Arthur Reed's cousin...or brother. not sure which)

5 comments:

  1. "Gilly loves me," said Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely going to get to Anthony's head...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, my experience at public school hasn't been this exciting so far. I hope I can meet homeboy, he sounds patient

      Delete
  3. "I come visit you every other day. shouldn't there be a blog about me?" -Anthony Hewlett. and I guess I felt obligated...he did buy me a bagel. Mike- don't talk down to those who go to public school like we're wierdos! hah also he is very patient. It was the underlying moral to the story. glad you caught that one!

    ReplyDelete