June 2, 2014

we all need each other

Each day I get a little bit older and every day I am reminded that I always need help from other people. No matter how much I learn or how qualified I become in something I will still always need the help that everyone around me can offer. I'm realizing, however, that sometimes it's not really the actual help that we need. I'm fairly certain there are enough YouTube tutorials to teach us anything we need to know. For goodness sake there is a tutorial on YouTube to show how to navigate YouTube..seems kind of ironic to me. Anyway what i'm trying to say I guess is that we need each other because we need the support that other people can give to us. Something youtube certainly can't do. 

Over memorial day weekend we managed to flood the basement in our cabin and were without water for the whole weekend. I didn't have a hard time with any of that though. (I was actually pretty pumped to get to brush my teeth oakcrest style-which means water bottle and nature!) we were able to take care of things and I was happy to help. It's when I had to run to all my uncles cabins asking for something else that the Stewart Hewlett cabin wasn't stocked with at that current moment, which was everything from screwdrivers, fans, WD40, wet vac's, matches oh and their nice warm shower.

I'm convinced I have the worlds best uncles who give me bear hugs, tell me i'm beautiful on the reg, and help me out with anything. I know this yet it was still so hard for me to ask for help. Looking back now at that crazy weekend we would have been in trouble without all the support nearby. We were able to collect everything within four different cabins we needed to get by and enjoy the weekend. Which is just like what happens in life. We have support systems and friends where we can take a marble from the jar, sometimes multiple marbles. Then later on we may be adding to it while someone else is reaching in for those figurative marbles which is really just support from others. Sometimes that help and support comes from things people can offer us to help us (like when we flooded our basement) but it can also be time spent with someone or sharing a burden to help relieve another.

We all need each other no matter how much we hate to admit it.


1 comment:

  1. I have a story about this.... I HATE asking for help. Always. My mom had surgery three-ish months ago, so I have taken on a lot of household responsibilities, who knew that was so much work! I've been busy and slacking the past few days so the dishes have piled up, greatly... I had a breakdown today and told my mom I couldn't do it anymore. This afternoon there was a knock on our door and in walked my aunt and her old housekeeper. After visiting for awhile her housekeeper walked into the kitchen, saw the dishes and asked if she could wash them. I said no (because really....who has a guest walk in and wash their dishes.). Well, even though I said no she got to work washing all of the dishes. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to sit through. I felt so many emotions, but mostly gratitude. Both for the act, and the lesson I learned. On accepting help and offering help when house it's needed.

    ReplyDelete